Another Bad Health Insurance Experience

 I have a chronic condition.  There is no cure. So, like so many others I take a drug to maintain my health.  I have been taking that drug for 15 years. It is a bit costly. I usually drop into the doughnut hole within 9 or 10 months.

Recently I received a letter from my health insurance company.  The company informed me that it would no longer cover the drug I was taking. They offered generic drugs in its stead. They said I could appeal.

I appealed on the basis that my doctor and I had tried those generics. Hooray! I won, with one caveat.

The company said that my doctor would have to keep them updated every quarter and request an extension at the end of the year

Now, my doctor has the added expense of these reports.  Just another costly intrusion between a patient and his medical provider by a corporation wanting profit over health.

Have you had your insurance company say they would not cover the treatment that your doctor suggested? 

Have you ever been blind-sided by unexpected charges?

Don’t you think it is time we stop punishing people for getting sick?

For more Q and A and another solution go to www.hcao.org.

Comments

Popular Posts